Complete strategy to prepare for UKPSC Lower PCS exam by Ravi Shah (NT ,11th rank)
शांत , विनम्र एवं मेहनती रवि शाह ने प्रथम प्रयास मे ही लोवर परीक्षा मे 11वाँ स्थान प्राप्त किया|रवि शाह ने पूरी तन्मयता से तैयारी की और कुछ समय के लिए तो ये दिल्ली से देहरादून ही स्थानांतरित हो गये थे |इन्होने ने बहुत विस्तार से तैयारी के तरीके पर चर्चा की है,आशा है आप सभी को इससे लाभ मिलेगा….रवि शाह को भविष्य के लिए हमारी तरफ से शुभकामनाए
Let me introduce myself. My name is Ravi Sah. I have done my engineering from Dehradun. I have 6 years of experience in the software development field. I left my job to prepare for the pcs exams.
Like any other new aspirant, due to lack of proper guidance, I had also committed few mistakes in the beginning of the preparation phase. I have listed down the mistakes which a serious candidate should avoid during the preparation phase. I hope aspirants will find these useful.
Mistakes to avoid:
- Not reading the Syllabus regularly.
- Poor management of the syllabus. Students often go deeper into any topic than
- required and do not read other topics mentioned in the syllabus well.
- Keeping too many resources for a subject. The urge to buy new material should be
- curbed. Instead, Focus should be on multiple revisions from a single source.
- Not revising your notes/books regularly.
- In the main exam, time management is very important. We have a tendency of writing
- more in the questions in which we have more knowledge, but this hampers the quality of
- answers in the later question as were are left with very little time.
- Focussing too much on good hand writing also slows downs the speed. Rather the focus should be on completing all the questions over writing answers in good hand writing
Things to Focus on:
- Always keep print out of the syllabus and read it regularly.
- After reading the syllabus go through the past year papers and see the how the
- questions are being framed from different topics. This will also help you in segregating
- important topics of the syllabus.
- Make notes on each topic mentioned in the syllabus. Make short, crisp notes. This will shorten your revision time
- Regularly revise your notes and keep updating them with current data.
- Solve as many mock tests as possible for prelims.
For main exam, I followed this structure:-
- Brief Introduction (20-25 words)
- Detail about the question in Point format (80 words)
- Conclusion (20-25 words)
I would suggest you to follow the above structure for you answers in the main exam.
Join a good Test series and write tests as per the schedule. I had joined Samveg Ias Academy for mock tests. Work on the feedback provided by the coaching institute.
During main exam, your first priority should be completing all the questions.
Jaidev Sir Board, Time – 25 mins appx
C: What is your role number?
C: Your marks in Class 10th, 12th and Graduation?
M1: Tell me your 5 Strengths and Weaknesses?
A situational question on one of the strength.
What are the qualities of a good leader? Example when you have exhibited leadership
qualities in your previous job?
Why do you want to join NT after engineering?
C: Why did you leave your job? You could have prepared with the job? How much did
C: Where is Dakshin Gangotri ? What kind of research is done by Indian scientists
C: When did the Uttarakhand Flood tragedy happened? What were the reasons behind
the tragedy? What would you have done if you were a Naib Tehsildar during the
tragedy? (He even mentioned that SDM was swept away in the floods)
C: Places to visit in Dehradun?
C Tell me about Punyagiri Mela? What is ‘No man’s land’? River which passes Near
Punyagiri? Tell 5 names of Sharda River?
C : How many Dhams are in Uttarakhand ?1 or 4?
M2: Application of IT in land revenue system?
M2: Asked 4-5 questions regarding current government and 2014 and 2019 elections.
The chairman then told the member M2 not to ask political questions.
Suggestions for Interview:
Prepare your DAF thoroughly. Questions on Graduation subject, job experience have
high chances of being asked in the Interview.
Prepare general questions like 5 Strengths/Weaknesses, Leadership Qualities (Along
with examples when you had exhibited them), hobbies etc.
Frame as many questions as you can on your DAF, and practice answers to those questions in front of a mirror. This will help you immensely in the actual interview
Mock Interviews are very important. They help in increasing your confidence, and the feedback provided is very valuable.
During Interview, Be humble; do not argue with the interview board; do not lie; say Thank you if they tell you answer of a question that you were unable to answer
If you don’t know an answer or you are unable to recall an answer to a question, then simply say, “Sorry Sir, I don’t know” or “Sorry Sir, I am unable to recall”. It is better to say these words instead of giving some vague answers.
Resources that I followed for both Prelim and Main exam:-
Current Affairs – Internet, UK Edition Newspaper Amar Ujala/Jagran (For UK news)
History of India – Ancient and Medival – Tamil Nadu History books;
Modern – Spectrum; Lucent is also very good for Revision
Indian Polity – Indian Polity by Lakshmikant
Indian Economy – Sri Ram IAS printed Notes
Geography – Class 11th and 12th NCERTS
General Science – Arihant/Lucent
Environment – Shankar IAS
Uttarakhand Part – Winsar, Pariksha wani, Internet (Govt websites for schemes, Samveg ias Webiste)
Essay – Prepared mainly from Internet. Read toppers Essay on Vision Ias website
Hindi Saaransh, Letter Drafting – Did this part from Ghatnachakra book
Translation – Prepared from Arihant Translation book (My hindi is weak so practiced regularly from this Book)
I want to express my gratitude to Mishra Sir of Samveg IAS academy for helping me secure Rank 11 in the Lower PCS exam, 2016.
I had joined Samveg IAS academy for mock tests, and mock interviews.
The mock tests were instrumental in improving my answer writing skills. Also, I was able to complete all the questions on time
The one week Mock interview programme in Samveg IAS was absolutely amazing.Each day 6-7 hours long classes where held on various important topics of Uttarakhand, and current affairs. These classes along with the Mock interviews helped me immensely in the actual interview.
Sir, Thank You.
Rank 11, Lower PCS 2016